Anthony L. Schumann is a partner in the Chicago office of Quintairos, Prieto, Wood & Boyer, P.A. He is the Chair of the Firm’s Governmental Enforcement & Corporate Internal Investigations Practice Group. For more than 30 years, Mr. Schumann has participated in over 150 civil and criminal trials and evidentiary hearings. He focuses his practice in the areas of commercial litigation, employment law, government liability, and white collar criminal defense. He has extensive experience representing corporate, governmental and individual clients in state and federal courts and during all stages of investigation and throughout the litigation process. Mr. Schumann has extensive experience assisting companies with internal investigations and in handling compliance issues including MBE/WBE compliance. He has attained an AV® rating from Martindale-Hubbell Law Directory, the highest professional rating awarded for legal ability and ethical standards; and he is also included in the listings of Illinois Leading Lawyer and Illinois Super Lawyer.
In 2005, Mr. Schumann entered into association with other attorneys in the formation of Grant Schumann, LLC, a Chicago-based minority owned law firm, where as a founding member and principal, he represented corporate and government sector clients and individuals for over 10 years. In 1996, he was the owner of his law practice in Chicago; and previously, he was a partner and owner of Duckworth & Schumann, P.C., with his practice emphasized in the areas of civil and criminal litigation. Prior to entering private practice, Mr. Schumann gained extensive courtroom experience as a trial lawyer with the Office of the Cook County Public Defender.
Mr. Schumann received his Juris Doctor from Southern University Law Center, Baton Rouge, Louisiana in 1984 and Bachelor of Arts from Augustana College, Rock Island, Illinois in 1981.
Mr. Schumann is licensed to practice law in Illinois and is a member of the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois, U.S. District Court for the Central District of Illinois and the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit.
Professional Associations and Memberships:
- Cook County Bar Association
- Chicago Bar Association
- Chicago Inn of Court – Master of the Bench
- Illinois Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- Defense Research Institute
- National Bar Association
Mr. Schumann is a frequent lecturer and speaker at local and national conferences. He has also served as a moderator and panelist on topics addressing diversity in the legal profession.
- Defense Research Institute (DRI), CLE Session: “Dazed and Confused: Assisting Employers Feeling the Effects of Cannabis Legalization” Guest Panelist (2019)
- Illinois State Medical Society (ISMS) CME Session: “Sexual Harassment by Physicians: Implications for Medical Staff Privileges, Licensure, and Physician Practices” Presenter (2019)
- National Association of Minority and Women Owned Law Firms (NAMWOLF), White Collar Defense & Internal Investigation Practice Area Committee, CLE Session: “In-House Counsel at Risk: Enforcement Actions Against Gatekeepers” Guest Panelist (2019)
- National Association of Minority and Women Owned Law Firms (NAMWOLF), CLE Session: “Untangling the Knots of Conflicting Priorities in Corporate Internal Investigations” Organizer & Moderator (2018)
- Defense Research Institute (DRI), CLE Session: “A Survey of the Effects of Marijuana Legalization on Employment Law” Presenter (2018)
- National Association of Minority and Women Owned Law Firms (NAMWOLF), White Collar Defense & Internal Investigation Practice Area Committee, CLE Session: “Avoiding and Untangling Knots in Company Internal Investigations in Today’s Age” Guest Panelist (2018)
- National Association of Minority and Woman Owned Law Firms (NAMWOLF), CLE Session “Anatomy of State and Local Investigations” Presenter (2017)
- Defense Research Institute (DRI), CLE Session: “Bridging the Divide: Law Enforcement and Community Relations” Guest Panelist (2017)
- Edward Jones & Co., CLE Session: “Handling Corporate Internal Investigations” Presenter (2017)
- National Association of Minority and Women Owned Law Firms (NAMWOLF), CLE Session: “From Discovery to Verdict – Using Technology to Make an Impact at Trial” Presenter (2016)
- National Association of Minority and Women Owned Law Firms (NAMWOLF), White Collar PAC, CLE Session for Walmart In-House Counsel: “Review of the Attorney-Client Privilege: A Focus on In-House Counsel” Presenter (2016)
- Defense Research Institute (DRI), CLE Session: “Big City Law Enforcement and Legal Defense Challenges with Policing” Presenter (2016)
- National Association of Minority and Women Owned Law Firms (NAMWOLF), CLE Session: “To Kill or Not To Kill – The Trial Attorney” Presenter (2015)
- Chicago Minority Supplier Development Council, Minority Business Enterprise Legal Series, “Hiring in the Age of Medical Marijuana and Conceal and Carry” Guest Speaker (2014)
- National Bar Association’s Small Business Law Section, “Strategies for Developing and Maintaining Successful In-house/Outside Counsel Relationships” Guest Panelist/Participant (2013)
- Chicago Urban League, Contractor Development Program, “Construction Subcontract Agreements” Guest Speaker (2009)
- Cook County Bar Association, “Counseling Clients During the Economic Downturn” Guest Panelist/Speaker (2009)
- Defense Research Institute (DRI) In House Defense Quarterly: “Employers and Medical Marijuana-Prescribed Employees” (2019)
- Defense Research Institute (DRI) For The Defense Magazine: “When Must Law Enforcement Agencies Release Video Footage?” (2017)
In his community, Mr. Schumann serves as an advisory board member of Legal Prep Charter Academy.
QPWB Gets Defense Verdict for MBE Maintenance Subcontractor Servicing O'Hare International Airport on Claims of Discrimination
QPWB Trial Attorney Gets Defense Verdict for City of Chicago Police
115 South LaSalle Street, Suite 3100
Chicago, Illinois 60603
Telephone: (312) 566-0040
Facsimile: (312) 566-0040
Areas of Practice:
- General Litigation
- Governmental Liability Defense
- Labor and Employment Law
- White Collar Criminal Defense
- Southern University Law Center, J.D. (1984)
- Augustana College, B.A. (1981)