Derek A. Feibel is an associate in the Dallas office of Quintairos, Prieto, Wood & Boyer, P.A. Mr. Feibel focuses his practice on workers’ compensation, labor and employment, premises liability, insurance defense litigation and personal injury. Mr. Feibel also handles subrogation cases for insurance carriers protecting their priority liens stemming from workers’ compensation claims. He has been included in the Texas Rising Star Super Lawyer listing every year from 2014 through 2018.
Prior to joining QPWB, Mr. Feibel was an associate with a commercial litigation law firm in Dallas where handled workers’ compensation claims and successfully represented insurance carriers on issues of compensability, disability, failure to timely notify an employer of an injury, MMI certification dates, extent of injury, and bona fide offers of employment, among other representations.
Mr. Feibel received his Juris Doctor from Texas Tech University School of Law in 2011 and Bachelor of Communication in Broadcast Journalism from the University of Texas at Austin in 2005.
Mr. Feibel is licensed to practice law in Texas. He is a member of the State Bar of Texas and is admitted in the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Texas. He is also a member of the Dallas Bar Association.
- Obtained a dismissal in district court for lack of jurisdiction on an administrative issue on behalf of the insurance carrier.
- Successfully represented an insurance carrier in defense of denying supplemental income benefits to a claimant who failed to make an active work search effort.
- Successfully represented a certified self-insured employer in defense of its company policy involuntarily terminating employees who falsify their applications.
- Obtained a favorable settlement agreement for an insurance carrier by demonstrating a doctor had misread a diagnostic report, thus invalidating the doctor’s diagnosis.
- Successfully represented an insurance carrier in defense of denying compensability to a claimant who had no expert medical evidence to corroborate her alleged injury.
- Successfully represented an insurance carrier in defense of extending a bona fide offer of employment to a claimant who refused to work in a job that met her work restrictions.
- Obtained a favorable settlement agreement for an insurance carrier by proving the claimant had earned wages from a second job while seeking disability benefits from the insured.
- Successfully represented an insurance carrier in asserting the affirmative defense of failure to timely notify the employer within 30 days by obtaining affidavits from multiple co-employees stating the claimant did not report her injury on the date she testified.
- Successfully defended an insurance carrier in defense of denying mileage reimbursements to a claimant who arbitrarily visited doctors over 30 miles away from her home.
- Successfully represented numerous insurance carriers on issues of compensability, disability, failure to timely notify an employer of an injury, MMI certification dates, extent of injury, and bona fide offers of employment.
Publications and Presentations
- Co-author, “Judicial Review and Trial Practice, Courthouse Issues: What to Consider and How to Respond in District Court,” at the Advanced Workers’ Compensation Seminar, August 2012
1700 Pacific Avenue, Suite 4545
Dallas, Texas 75201
Telephone: (214) 754-8755
Facsimile: (214) 754-8744
Areas of Practice:
- General Litigation
- Insurance and Insurers
- Labor and Employment Law
- Premises Liability
- Workers’ Compensation Defense
- Texas Tech University School of Law, J.D. (2011)
- University of Texas at Austin, B.Comn. (2005)