Steven A. Wood is an associate in the Dallas office of Quintairos, Prieto, Wood & Boyer, P.A. Mr. Wood focuses his practice in the areas of commercial civil litigation and insurance defense with an emphasis on automobile and trucking accidents, premises liability and other personal injury cases. Mr. Wood’s representation of insurance companies has included conducting insurance fraud investigations and providing opinions on coverage. Mr. Wood also has extensive experience in municipal law and governmental liability defense, having served as a city attorney for a number of different cities in the Dallas/Fort Worth area for eleven years; his practice also includes representing homeowner associations, and individuals who have needs in the areas of civil litigation, commercial and residential real estate, contracts, and will and probate.
Prior to joining QPWB, Mr. Wood was a partner with a Fort Worth law firm representing a wide range of insurance carriers, corporations and individuals in insurance and SIU fraud matters. Mr. Wood served as team leader of the litigation and wills and probate practice and acted as first-chair attorney in over 50 civil litigation cases. His practice involved conducting general fraud investigations and examinations under oath, drafting coverage recommendation letters on behalf of clients; preparing appellate briefs for oral argument, and representing homeowner associations as general counsel.
Mr. Wood has served various Texas municipalities for approximately 11 years. Specifically, he served as City Attorney for the Town of Annetta and the City of Alvarado and as Assistant City Attorney for the Town of Flower Mound, the City of Richland Hills, the City of Southlake, and provided legal advice to other Texas municipalities as needed. In addition to addressing regulatory law issues, his practice included drafting ordinances and resolutions pertaining to municipalities, preparing and reviewing commercial leases, contracts, economic development agreements, and inter-local agreements. Mr. Wood defended cities in court on behalf of the Texas Municipal League Intergovernmental Risk Pool and also served as general counsel for Mira Vista Homeowners Association.
He has also served as Assistant City Attorney and Chief Prosecutor for the City of Mansfield, Texas, providing legal services in the areas of city management, assessment and compliance to regulatory laws; he handled municipal law issues including eminent domain, code enforcement, zoning, employment contracts, real estate, and economic development.
In addition, as owner and manager of a fraud investigation practice, Mr. Wood conducted fraud investigations for various insurance companies investigating automobile accidents, theft, arson, property loss, homeowners, healthcare and third-party liability claims.
Mr. Wood received his Juris Doctor from St. Mary’s University School of Law, San Antonio, Texas in May 2001 and Bachelor of Arts from Baylor University, Waco, Texas in December 1996 graduating with a major in political science and minor in English. While in law school, he served as associate editor of the St. Mary’s Law Journal.
Mr. Wood is licensed to practice law in Texas and is a member of the State Bar of Texas. He is admitted in the U.S. District Courts for the Northern, Eastern, and Western Districts of Texas and U.S. Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit. He is also a member of the Tarrant County Bar Association.
Mr. Wood regularly conducts seminars for clients and other organizations.
- Bad Faith Claims in Texas, presented to the Texas Association of Vehicle Theft Investigators, October 2018
- Litigating Hail Claims in Texas: The Texas Hailstorm Law, presented to the North Texas Chapter of the IASIU, January 2018
- Everything You Need to Know About EUOs, presented to the North Texas Chapter of the IASIU, June 2017
- Zoning Boards of Adjustments: Traps and Pitfalls for the Unwary, presented at the UT Land Use Conference, March 2014
- Zoning Boards of Adjustment: Pitfalls to Avoid, presented at the Texas City Attorneys Association Summer Conference, June 2011
- What Have I Gotten Myself Into?, presented at a joint meeting of the City Councils of Joshua, Cleburne and Burleson, January 2011
- Gas Pipeline Litigation: The New Frontier, presented at the Texas Wesleyan School of Law Energy Symposium, April 2010
- Zoning Litigation, presented to the Midwest Texas Planning Association, September 2009
- Recent Federal Cases of Interest to Cities, presented to the Texas City Attorneys Association, June 2008
1700 Pacific Avenue, Suite 4545
Dallas, Texas 75201
Telephone: (214) 754-8755
Facsimile: (214) 754-8744
Areas of Practice:
- Automotive Liability
- Appellate Law
- Condominium and Homeowners Association Law
- Fraud/SIU (Special Investigative Unit)
- General Litigation
- Governmental Liability Defense
- Insurance and Insurers
- Labor and Employment
- Land Use and Zoning
- Premises Liability
- Probate and Guardianship Administrative and Litigation
- Trucking and Transportation
- Wills, Trusts and Estates
- St. Mary’s University School of Law, J.D. (2001)
- Baylor University, B.A. (1996)