Kathleen E. MacMillan is a partner in the Orlando office of Quintairos, Prieto, Wood & Boyer, P.A. Ms. MacMillan is Board Certified in Criminal Trial Law by the Florida Bar Board of Legal Education and Specialization. She focuses her practice on the defense of skilled nursing and assisted living facilities, general and premises liability disputes, medical and professional malpractice matters, and automotive liability claims.
As an assistant public defender for the Office for the Public Defender, Ninth Judicial Circuit, Ms. MacMillan was singularly responsible for handling criminal cases from arrest to sentence with over 35 cases tried to jury verdict including:
- State v. Robert Payne, 2015-CF-015079-A-OR. Sexual Battery. Jury verdict: Not Guilty.
- State v. Ira Robinson, 2014-CF-10491-A-OR. Aggravated Battery with a Firearm (25 year Minimum Mandatory), Shooting at or Into a Dwelling, Criminal Mischief. Jury verdict: Not Guilty, all counts.
- State v. Hector Pereira, 2013-CF-001707-A-OR. Lewd and Lascivious Battery. Motion to Dismiss granted; State appeal 5D13-3026 granted; case remanded. Jury verdict: Not Guilty, all counts.
- State v. Linden Ontly Smith, 2013-CF-002850-A-OR. Aggravated Assault with a Firearm, Possession of a Firearm by Convicted Felon. Jury verdict: Not Guilty, all counts.
Prior to joining QPWB, Ms. MacMillan was also an associate attorney representing criminal defendants and civil rights litigation before the U.S. District Court for the Southern and Eastern Districts of New York.
Ms. MacMillan received her Juris Doctor from Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law, New York City in June 2008 and a Bachelor of Arts summa cum laude from New York University in May 2004. While in law school, she served as executive editor of the Cardozo Public Law, Policy & Ethics Journal and authored “The Practicability of Amnesty as a Non-Prosecutory Alternative in Post-Conflict Uganda,” the article appearing in Students Notes, 6 Cardozo Pub. L. Pol’y & Ethics J. 199, 220 (2007).
As a law student, Ms. MacMillan interned with the Office of the Public Defender, Eighteenth Judicial Circuit in Sanford, Florida and worked with criminal defense lawyers serving the Legal Aid Society at the Criminal Defense Clinic in New York City representing indigent clients before the Manhattan Criminal Court.
Ms. MacMillan is licensed to practice law in Florida and New York and is admitted in the U.S. District Court for the Southern and Eastern Districts of New York. She is a member of the Orange County Bar Association, and serves on the board of the Central Florida Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers.
255 South Orange Avenue, Suite 900
Orlando, Florida 32801
Telephone: (407) 872-6011
Facsimile: (407) 872-6012
Areas of Practice:
- Assisted Living Facilities
- Automotive Liability
- Insurance and Insurers
- Medical Malpractice Defense
- Nursing Homes
- Premises Liability
- Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law, J.D. (2008)
- New York University, B.A., summa cum laude (2004)