Clark V. Vellis is a partner in the Reno, Nevada office of Quintairos, Prieto, Wood & Boyer, P.A. Mr. Vellis has over 35 years of experience handling complex litigation matters as a trial lawyer in both federal and state court in multiple jurisdictions and advising clients on a full range of claims including general civil and commercial litigation. Since 1986, his practice has focused on medical malpractice including medical device and pharmaceutical litigation, product liability, asbestos litigation, business torts, construction claims, personal injury, wrongful death matters, and premise liability actions. Mr. Vellis’ practice also includes labor and employment law, insurance defense related matters, and tobacco litigation.
Prior to joining QPWB, Mr. Vellis was Of Counsel trial attorney with a Nevada-based law firm. He conducted all aspects of litigation; handling commercial disputes and prosecuting claims related to personal injuries. He served as counsel for the city in tax litigation regarding issues of first impression in State. Mr. Vellis served as lead counsel in multi-party construction delay, defect and fraud matters in medical device and pharmaceutical claims. He was local counsel for major commercial and employment matters, and responsible for implementing strategy of national counsel. Previously, and for approximately 15 years, he was a partner with various Reno law firms, representing clients in state and federal courts, in arbitration, appeal, and mediation; responsible for developing and executing case strategy, negotiation of settlements, discovery, experts coordination, and client retention.
- Multi-million hotel casino ground lease dispute related to the construction and maintenance of gaming resort property and building.
- Represented a subcontractor in a construction defect, high end, Lake Tahoe residence.
- Represented a national retailer in discrimination, harassment, retaliation claims in federal and state courts.
- Represented local hospitals and physicians in claims of medical negligence resulting in catastrophic injury and/or death.
- Represented Fortune 500 companies in statewide complex product litigation and commercial litigation.
- From 1990 to 1995, Mr. Vellis was litigation counsel to Amerco/U-Haul International, where he had oversight and involvement in the trials of major product allegations, employment matters, and commercial business claims. He litigated and/or directed national counsel on cases involving catastrophic injury and major product allegation; he also interfaced with captive insurance regarding risk assessment and claims mitigation.
Mr. Vellis received his Juris Doctor from the University of Santa Clara School of Law, California in 1984 and a Bachelor of Arts from George Washington University, District of Columbia in 1978.
Mr. Vellis is licensed to practice law in Nevada, California and Arizona (inactive). He is also admitted in the U.S. District Court for the District of Nevada and U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California. He is a previous Executive Board Member of the Litigation Section of the State Bar of Nevada and is a post Member of the Defense Research Institute.
Mr. Vellis acted previously as judge pro tem with the Santa Clara County Superior Court. He served the State Bar of Nevada as board member of the Northern Nevada Attorney Disciplinary Board, and the Fee Dispute Committee as an Arbitrator and Mediator. He also was a previous member of the Infraction Review Board for the Santa Clara Jail and Elmwood Correctional Facility. Mr. Vellis has also volunteered with the Peace Corps in Medellin, Colombia.
Presentations and Publications
- Fundamentals of Employment Law (2013)
- National Judicial College Program for Foreign Judges
- Taking and Defending Effective Depositions
- Personnel Law Update 2000
- Bridging the Gap: Client Relations, State Bar of Nevada
- Managing Complex Litigation for the Nevada Paralegal
- Personnel Law Update 1999
- Preparing Witnesses for Trial
- Making and Responding to Objections at Deposition - State Bar of Nevada Annual Meeting 2013
Mr. Vellis is fluent in Spanish.
200 S. Virginia St., 8th Floor
Reno, Nevada 89501
Telephone: (775) 322-4697
Facsimile: (775) 322-4698
Areas of Practice:
- Automotive Liability
- Construction Claims
- General Litigation
- Government Liability Defense
- Insurance and Insurers
- Labor and Employment
- Medical Malpractice Defense
- Premises Liability
- Product Liability
- Professional Malpractice Defense
- University of Santa Clara School of Law, J.D. (1984)
- George Washington University, B.A. (1978)